Thursday, May 26, 2011

In all circumstances?!

So, I think that I can speak for everyone when I say that Christianity is hard. Being a real Christian, a real follower of God is hard! We will never reach all of the guidelines and yet we are still told to try to be like Christ, who is perfect. The only one who has ever lived life without falling short. Don't get me wrong, I love knowing that no matter how much I fall short, as long as I believe and have faith and am faithful to my best ability, God will still cover me with his grace, love and mercy and he will always be waiting time and time again with open arms. There is so much comfort in that! God is perfect, we are not and he still accepts and desires us! So beautiful. Anyways, back on topic.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 is very difficult. This topic has been brought up a lot lately in my life so I've been paying attention to just how many times I break this every single day. It says:
"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God In Christ Jesus for you."
Man. It's a lot harder than it sounds. I find myself asking throughout the day "How can I be thankful for THAT?!" and slowly but surely God has been placing peace in me as I ask him that.

About a week ago, my aunt Nancy had a follow up appointment for her lung cancer. She went through chemotherapy and did radiation and we thought that everything was going to be ok. That she would get to stay here with us to see my sisters and I grow up and be there when we get married. We thought that she would get to be around for advice on raising our children...to get to see her grandson grow up. But, At this follow up appointment, we found out that not only was her cancer back, but it was back in her lungs, liver and neck. She will not be going through chemotherapy again, and the cancer will soon spread to her brain and take her out of my life forever. She won't be at my wedding. She won't get to hold my children. Where will we have thanksgiving from now on? Things will never be the same.

How can you be thankful for that?! I'm sure that all of you have been there and know how difficult it is. But still, we are told to be thankful. That it is "The will of God in Christ Jesus for us." and like always, he is right. As hard as it is, we should be thankful. I should be thankful. Because through this, I will have no one to fall on but God.

Nahum 1:7 says this:
"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him."

Even though we are going through trials, we need to take refuge in him. He gives us comfort, hen gives us joy, he gives us life. This is hard to take in, but it is very important. It is vital for us for God to be the source of our joy and for us to always rejoice, because no matter what happens, we still have a reason to be thankful. We still have reasons to rejoice.

Philippians 4:4
"Rejoice in the Lord always! Again, I will say rejoice!"

If you move further down in 1 Thessalonians 5, you will see that Paul says "hold fast what is good, abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it."

W
If we hold fast to what is good, we should look past the evil. Overlook the bad. "yes, this bad thing just happened, but look at all the good things happening! Thank you, Jesus!" and if you do these things, it will be clearly seen how you are set apart. You will still have joy in all circumstances, not everyone has that. If you do, use it! Don't just sit it on a shelf. Don't wallow around in self pity! That's not what we were created to do. We were created to bring God glory, rejoicing in him during times of tribulation is one of many ways you can give the glory to him. He's completely worthy of it.

God will sanctify you, he will set you apart if you accept him. All of him. His love, mercy, comfort, shelter...he has it all. He holds everything and everyone in his hands. He cares about you and your troubles. He wants to comfort you. He desires you...and he is faithful.

So, you have a reason to be thankful. Holdfast to what is good and give thanks to god through the bad times...and the good times!

So, I hope all of this makes sense. This is just one of my thoughts through my Christian walk. I feel like I just rambled on and on, so some things might not be clear. But, I guess I can sum this while post up with just a few verses:
James 1:2-4
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have it's full effect, that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing."
Philippians 1:6
"and I am sure of this, that he who began a a food work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

Trials will lead to steadfastness which will lead to perfection...but it won't be completed until the day of Jesus Christ. That means, we are to count it joy when we meet trials...until we die. Then and only then, we will be made perfect. Only by Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment